World Eating Disorder Action Day 2016
February 17, 2016
The Steering Committee for the Inaugural World Eating Disorders Action Day, June 2, 2016 supports the Mission of World Eating Disorder Action Day to advance recognition of eating disorders as serious, treatable illnesses and the VISION of World Eating Disorder Action Day is to unite eating disorder activists, professionals, families/carers and those personally affected to promote worldwide knowledge of eating disorders and recognition of the need for comprehensive treatment.
The role of the Steering Committee is to provide guidance for activities and processes for World Eating Disorder Day and is a vibrant link to all the many activists and participating organizations. As a grassroots effort the SC seeks the opinions and guidance of the many community members involved.
The Steering Committee members were proposed by the original activists who brainstormed the idea of a global day for awareness and action. A Terms of Reference and Mandate for the Steering Committee provides a framework for the types of organizations to be represented with an eye to diversity and broad representation. It is hoped that in future years, groups from more under-represented countries and populations will be involved.
Please see the list of the Steering Committee members for 2016 below. Feel free to reach out to them for more information:
- June Alexander, author of My Kid is Back with Daniel Le Grange, Australia
- Lisa Burns, Eating Disorder Parent Support and NIED, Canada
- Stephanie Covington Armstrong, author of Not All Black Girls Know How to Eat, USA
- James Carey, blogger, United Kingdom
- Amy Cunningham, co-founder, International Eating Disorder Action, Global
- Brad Kennington, National Association of Males with Eating Disorders, USA
- Veronica Luccioni, Elephant in the Room Foundation, United Kingdom
- Gloria Lucas, Nalgona Positivity Pride, United States
- Yasemin Merwede, National Eating Disorders Association/NEDA, USA
- Jennifer Denise Ouellette, International Eating Disorders Action/Eating Disorder Parent Support/UCSD parent, USA
- Kira Rakova, Beating Eating Disorders, Canada/USA/Global
- Susan Ringwood, Families Empowered and Supporting Treatment of Eating Disorders/F.E.A.S.T., Global
- Dagan VanDemark, Trans Folx Fighting Eating Disorders, USA
- Kristine Vazzano, Academy for Eating Disorders, USA/Global
- Lizabeth Wesely-Casella, BingeBehavior.com, USA/Global