Want to Get Involved in World Eating Disorders Day?
Here’s What You Can Do:
- LIKE us on Facebook.
- FOLLOW us on Twitter.
- CONNECT with us on LinkedIn.
- FOLLOW us on Instagram.
- SEND IN YOUR PICTURE for the Instagram Diversity campaign.
- SHARE links to our website and blogs.
- PARTICIPATE in our 30 HOUR Tweetchat-a-Thon using #WeDoAct #WorldEatingDisordersDay – SEE SCHEDULE BELOW.
- HOLD A LIVE EVENT: Press conferences, meetings, news interviews, lighting up a national monument are all welcome and you can feel free to lead them. Email email@example.com to let us know so we can advertise.
- USE THE HASHTAGS: #WeDoAct #WorldEatingDisordersDay
- SHARE, TWEET, FOLLOW & CONNECT: The more you can advertise own your own pages the better. We also need help doing more directed tweets to policy makers and would love assistance there. ALL the content on the webpage is shareable.
- USE KEY MESSAGES: Please use the Mission & Vision and Key Messages – including the “Nine Truths About Eating Disorders” – as you do your messaging around WorldEDday!
World Eating disorders Day will host 24+ hours of Tweetchats by leading eating disorders organizations and thought leaders across the globe on June 2 beginning 12:00 UTC.
Join us! Check out the schedule of Tweetchats and this short guideline on managing and participating in chats.
If you do contact us to be listed on the website, please provide your complete contact information, your agreement to the Participating Principles and how you would like your organisation listed on the website.
Calls to Action
As part of a larger effort to increase World Eating Disorder Day’s global presence, we are encouraging activists around the world to create and facilitate events in their local communities.
This year’s theme, #together, refers to the importance of engaging with a multitude of communities in the world of eating disorder recovery. Whether you find yourself able to engage locally, globally, or even at a personal level, #together can start with you.
Below are three intentionally broad categories to help spark some ideas that may help you engage your communities.
- On June 2nd post a photo with anyone who has been affected by an eating disorder or who supports those in recovery. Don’t forget to include this year’s hashtags, which will ONLY be used on the day of the event, #WeDoAct2017 and #together.
- Educate others:
– Hand out AED’s Medical Care Standards Guide (available in pdf in multiple languages) in doctors offices
– Hand out the Nine Truths About Eating Disorders to friends and family
– Ask your legislator to light up a local monument in purple
– Ask your legislator to allocate funding for eating disorder research and prevention in local schools
– If you feel safe, share your story and have a conversation about eating disorders with friends and/or family members
– If you feel safe, share your story on Facebook live
– Body image and eating disorder awareness workshop at a local school
– Interviews with local radio and TV stations
– Article in local newspapers
– Music or art event to raise money for an eating disorder non-profit that works to spread awareness about eating disorders
– Tell others how to get screened for an eating disorder
- Support someone who is in recovery from an eating disorder or their caregiver(s).
– Send homemade cards
– Get together with others and make care packages to send to local treatment centers
– Write and send positive affirmations
– Host a paint night or other event to raise money for a eating disorder organization or treatment center or someone who needs funds to access treatment
– Donate art or arts and crafts supplies to treatment centers
To try to make these events as recovery oriented as possible, we suggest not doing any sporting events such as walks or runs.